Percorso della Pace (Path of Peace)
Panel 03 out of 12

03 Palazzo della Sopracenerina

Piazza Grande 5, Locarno

Texts by Rodolfo Huber

This palace was designed by Locarnese architect Giuseppe Pioda and built in 1837. It had been commissioned by a company of shareholders formed by the wealthiest families in the city that was the seat of the cantonal government. In fact, the cantonal constitution of 1814 had stipulated that the authorities should stay, in six-year shifts, in the three capitals of Ticino: Lugano, Bellinzona and Locarno. Between
1821 and 1881 Locarno was the capital of Ticino four times. Then it was decided that the capital would remain permanently in Bellinzona. Therefore, the Government Palace lost its function.

In 1917 the Palace was purchased by the Locarnese Electric Company, which is now called the Sopracenerina Electric Company. The Palazzo, renovated in the mid-20th century, retains its neoclassical grandeur. In 1993 the inner courtyard was covered with a skylight designed by architect Mario Botta. The large hall on the second floor, originally the hall of the Grand Council, that is, the cantonal parliament, is regularly used for conferences, concerts and performances.

In 1925, during the Peace Conference, this hall of the Sopracenerina Palace housed the "Foyer de la Presse," run by lawyer Camillo Beretta, editor of the local newspaper "il Cittadino." In a few days, 18 telephone lines, some telegraph lines and a radio transmitter on the roof were installed.

No small feat at that time! The main hall was decorated with Persian carpets, flags and paintings, while large tables covered with press releases, newspapers and typewriters facilitated the work of correspondents. More than 200 journalists from some 20 different nations were accredited to the international conference.

Con il sostegno di
Path of Peace